Rancho Las Voces: Galería / Nancy Wood
La inteligencia de Irene visita México / La Quincena

martes, enero 30, 2007

Galería / Nancy Wood

.


Taos and Ute Indian Portraits
Craftsman, 1987



Toned Gelatin-Silver Print

Artist Statement
Although known primarily as a writer, with more than 30 published books to my name, I have also been a photographer for much of my life. My passion for photography began in 1961, when I married Myron Wood, a noted photographer. He opened my eyes to light and form.

Next, I met Roy Stryker, director of the FSA Historical Section. He taught what to look for in a documentary photograph. In 1974, I ventured out on my own with a project called The Grass Roots People, a study of the rural people of Colorado, done for the Colorado Centennial Commission

This project led to an unprecedented opportunity to photograph the Ute Indians. From there, I was asked to photograph a wedding at Taos Pueblo in 1984. My Indian friends encouraged me to document three and four generations of their families. I moved to Taos and began photographing the old people, everyday events such as bread making and washing clothes, and the dramatic cultural changes I saw around me.

REGRESAR A LA REVISTA