Rancho Las Voces: Galería / Frank Ward
La inteligencia de Irene visita México / La Quincena

martes, enero 30, 2007

Galería / Frank Ward

.


Pictures of Tibet
Gyantse Monks, 1992


Carbon Pigment Photograph

Artist Statement
I have been photographing Tibetan culture since I first met His Holiness the Dalai Lama in India in 1974. In the winter of 1992, I went to Asia with an 8X10 view camera and began a project photographing Tibet under Chinese occupation. In spite of the Chinese attempts to hollow out the soul of Tibet, it continues to be a majestic land that retains a power incomprehensible to the materialistic Chinese invaders. These pictures are meant to celebrate the survival of the nonviolent Tibetan way of life.

In addition to many trips to Tibet, I have photographed extensively throughout Asia, Europe and the Americas. Most recently, I have worked on projects in Ukraine, Kosovo, Bosnia and India. I am not a photojournalist. I prefer to avoid war and other disasters, but I make an effort to face trouble's aftermath and look for visual notations of social well-being or distress. I search for the beauty of individuals within the uncertainty of circumstances.


Process Statement
I photograph in all formats. I have often traveled with an 8X10 inch view camera hoisted on my shoulder and a 35mm around my neck. The diptychs in the "Pictures of Tibet " series were created from consecutive frames shot on a Leica or, more recently, on medium format.

I have printed with many materials including platinum, silver and carbon pigment ink jet. These prints are offered as quad pigment inks on archival paper.


REGRESAR A LA REVISTA